Bangkok at night. Photos and content © Chris
Macau. Images and content © Chris. Legacy blog.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

I'm back!

Yes I am indeed! Bouncing around Asia is as easy as grabbing a relatively affordable ticket and jumping on the next plane out. So for now, I'm back in Macau! I must say that sometimes it is nice to go back to a place and be able to settle in quickly.

OK, enough of that! Now for the updates. I've begun re-organizing the way that I deal with photos. I now have a flickr account! It's made especially for the time that I'm in Asia. My "photostream" (basically a conglomerate of many of the most recent photos I've taken) can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/travelinchris . I've started this out with twenty photographs from today's travels around Senado Square and Macao island.

Macau: Surviving the heat and the humidity
See a more complete version of the photolog here!

Senado Square is really the place to be if you plan on shopping in Macau. Sure, a plethora of designer options of excellent quality is available at the Venetian, MGM, or typically any mega-resort that has an integrated shopping area; even so, the more affordable brands and options can be found while shopping in a historic district that really has much to offer in its own right. For one, the Fortress Mount, Ruins of St. Paul's, and many historic areas are nearby. I however was shopping for two things: shorts and suitcases. Now, one disadvantage of Senado is that you must brave the very high heat (above 30C, 85F) and very high humidity (often peaks above 95%). The combination of heat and humidity can really sap ones strength. However, by staying sufficiently hydrated - I recommend a mix of freshly-squeezed tropical fruit juices available from local venders - and occasionally stopping by the air-conditioned shops, the trip can remain pleasant.


  
[Left] An area near Senado Square under the mid-afternoon sun. [Right] A more "artistic" shot, perhaps, of Senado Square itself. I placed the camera on the ground to get this shot, immediately adjacent to the fountain. Check out more of these shots on my flickr page (see instructions at the bottom of this post)!


 
[Left] Lunch this afternoon consisted of a baked pork dumpling and a fresh coconut from one of my favorite fresh fruit juice places near Senado Square. Fabulous, if I do say so myself. All the younglings traipsing about with their parents would stare wide-eyed and my beverage (sometimes the parents, young people, and tourists, too)! Coconuts are fairly big, and actually somewhat heavy compared to a regular paper or plastic cup. [Right] After a long day in the hot sun with a very high humidity, my body is always craving liquids (I also typically skip dinner). Pictured is a papaya milk tea served at the E.S.Kimo cafe in Taipa. Good way to end a good day.


What? Not enough photos? Well now, that can be fixed!
See more photos from this short trip! A more complete set of photos from my trek for this day can be found on my flickr account. Simply click on this text to access the photos. Please note that the original size of the photos is always larger than those found on my blog and flickr accounts in order to reduce bandwidth and potential size restrictions for the respective sites.




No comments:

Post a Comment