Bangkok at night. Photos and content © Chris
Macau. Images and content © Chris. Legacy blog.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Giant Pandas at Seac Pai Van Park in Macau

Visitors arriving to wish pandas "Hoi Hoi” and “Sam Sam" a happy birthday
Giant Pandas in Macau!!!! Seac Pai Van Park is situated on Coloane Island adjacent to the area of Cotai - the land "bridge" between the islands of Coloane and Taipa, just down the street and around the corner from the Venetian Macau and City of Dreams.

On Sunday, I jumped on the bus near my apartment in Taipa and headed on over to Macau island for church. I got up early in order to enjoy the hustle and bustle surrounding Senado Square first. Since the day was still cool, I grabbed a small pastry from one of the nearby shops and a fresh coconut for refreshment. Lazily watching people hustle and bustle around, and the occasional tourist saunter by, I planned out my day and decided in the afternoon to stop by the park and see these giant pandas once again. To be honest, Coloane is a nice place to visit for the great food and quiet relaxation, but when push comes to shove, I really prefer the bustling city environment. Therefore, I decided to just see the pandas and then head back to the Venetian Macau to meet some friends for dinner.

After the church service, I walked through the now bustling crowds in Senado Square, passed the Lisbo and Grand Lisboa, before catching a bus heading back to Taipa, and then on to Coloane. It was an enjoyable ride! The sun was shining hot down on the islands, and not a cloud could be seen in the skies. Once reaching the park, I hopped out and began to explore. The heat soon became quite intense, and I began to realize why so many people were hiding in the shade under the trees or in the buildings. Even my camera began to feel like it was burning up as I filmed school students practicing the dragon dance in the park. Pandas are large, cute, and somewhat fussy creatures from what I've heard. Their enclosure was air-conditioned, and the people watching had to remain silent and turn off the flashes to their cameras. The pandas were sleeping when I arrived, but soon they were to be fed! Soon "Hoi Hoi" and "Sam Sam" began to stir and slowly pace around the enclosure. Pausing for the occasional time to yawn or to sit.

Everywhere else that I've watched pandas - zoos in Asia and in the United States - the crowds were too great to see anything, even if the panda was moving, which was rare enough to spot on its own. In Macau, the zoo seems much more personal; smaller, and with fewer people. The chances of getting to watch the pandas up close as they feed is much greater and the fee to see the Pandas - a modest several dollars US - is very reasonable. This was my second visit to the zoo, and like the first time I had the great opportunity to watch, and film, the pandas as they ate and moved around. Absolutely love those animals! Soon afterwards, I left the parked, hopped back on the bus and was at the Venetian in time for dinner. All in the space of several hours!!!

   1.                                  2.                                 3.                                  4.
LEGEND. Of Parks, Pandas, and Flowers 1. Dragon dancers resting in the shade of some trees and a giant panda statue 2. In a garden below the panda house are some flower bushes cut to resemble "Hoi Hoi" and "Sam Sam" 3. This panda looks cute and cuddly!! 4. Staring up at you with great, big eyes

   1.                                  2.                                 3.                                  4.
LEGEND. Of Pandas and Bamboo leaves 1. Resting, contemplating the intensity of the up-and-coming feed! 2. "Hoi Hoi" well-represents the ingenious way pandas mix work and play. "Huh???" 3. See! Sam Sam is much more dainty, sitting up and carefully munching on his bamboo leaves. Hoi Hoi! He's showing you up!! 4. "Ah well, more power to him! I'm cool just lazing around while I chow!!"



---------------------------------------
Check out my other blog on the Kingdom of Thailand here!!!
---------------------------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment